• 4th Jun 2024

Message from the ATO - Tax information for paramedics 2023-2024

Australian Tax Office information for paramedics

Let’s talk record keeping

Just like that, tax time is here so it’s time to start digging out those receipts! Or, if you used the ATO’s myDeductions tool, all you’ll need to do is whip out your device of choice. Here are a couple of things to remember:

  • Having records of your work-related expenses is essential. If you don’t have the proof to support your claim, you can’t claim it.
  • A bank or credit card statement (on its own) is not enough evidence to support a work-related expense claim. In most cases, you’ll need a receipt.
  • Speaking of receipts, they must show all of the following:
    • the cost
    • the supplier
    • the date of purchase
    • the nature of the goods and/or services.

You may need to keep other records depending on the expense type, such as a logbook of your car journeys or records of the hours you work from home.

To give you a hand, the Australian Taxation Office (ATO) has provided a handy guide for paramedics to help you understand what you can and can’t claim this tax time.

Have further questions about your work-related expenses? Speak to a registered tax agent, or check out the ATO website for information on:

  • car expenses
  • claiming a working from home deduction
  • clothing and laundry expenses
  • keeping records for work-related expenses

Your clothing and laundry deductions explained

From work boots to boiler suits, be in the know when it comes to claiming a deduction for clothing expenses at tax time.

You can claim the cost to buy or clean clothing if it is:

  • Protective – clothing that has protective features and offers a significant degree of protection against workplace hazards (e.g. non-slip nurses shoes, fire-resistant clothing, boiler suits and aprons).
  • Occupation-specific – clothing that distinctively identifies you as a person associated with a particular job (e.g. a judge’s robe or a chef’s hat).
  • Compulsory – your employer requires you to wear a uniform that is distinctive to your organisation.

You can’t claim a deduction for ordinary or ‘conventional’ clothes such as jeans, t-shirts or even business attire – even if your employer requires you to wear it or you only wear it at work.

Finally, remember to keep track of your receipts. You can’t claim if you don’t have the right records!

For more information, visit www.ato.gov.au/keepingrecords

Back To News

Online Professional Development

Get unlimited access to hundreds of ACP's top courses for your professional development.

Join Now

Share this news